Thursday, January 6, 2011

Working on Bandit, Twilight words, being a teacher's aide for special needs kids

Happy new year to all! I’m sorry I haven’t been in contact with this blog for the last couple of weeks but I’ve been busy. Not only am I still working on my YA paranormal romance ‘Bandit’, I’ve been trying for the last couple of weeks to enroll in classes full-time at my local community college for Early Childhood Education. Since I haven’t been able to find a job within the last two years of my life, I’ve decided to go back to school to be a paraprofessional (Teacher’s aide) for special needs kids. I’ve always wanted to work with children ever since I taught creative writing at a catholic school back in the summer of 2008. Since I’m going back to school two weeks from now, it’s going to be a lot harder for me to finish my novel.

But by all means, I don’t care what I have to do, it will get done.

Another thing I have been scaling back on is the research on Twilight. To tell you the truth, I’m sick of hearing the word twilight. Everywhere I turn, it seems like vampires have now taken hold on the whole YA genre altogether and I for once had about enough of it. It’s a brand new year which means it’s time to talk about brand new subjects within the YA and romance community. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve enjoyed the whole twilight saga thing as well but I think it’s time to move on, which is why I’m trying my very best to write down as much journal entries I can so I can post them here and get it over with. I’m at least halfway done with the first book and I can guarantee you that it will be a LOOOONG time before I post some more journal entries on new moon, eclipse, and breaking dawn. The next book I’m thinking about reviewing is Tangerine by Edward Bloor. I heard that a lot of agents want more YA novels from a boy’s POV (Or maybe that’s middle-grade, I’m not sure) and I think that Tangerine is a perfect example on how a boy character should be written.

Besides, I’ve always wanted to experiment with my writing when it comes to the opposite sex. The only problem is every time I try to write from a male’s POV, I always end up sounding too feminine! Then I wind up hating myself for trying it in the first place…

You get the picture.

Anyways, there’s nothing left for me to say except give you the next ten words I got from Twilight that I’m thinking about using (or have already used) in my manuscript. Enjoy!

Dominique

P.S. UPDATE: The same process I have been doing with chapter one of Bandit has worked for chapter two. I’m now working on the third and fourth rewrite of chapter three which equals twelve more chapters to go! WOOHOO!


Statuesque - resembling a statue, as in grace, pose, or dignity.

Surreptitiously - accomplished by a secret or improper names: Clandestine. Acting secretly or by stealth.

Meekly - of gentle and long-suffering disposition. Submissive; compliant; lacking spirit or backbone. Humble; lowly. Gentle; indulgent; kind; compassionate.

Opaque - Impervious to light; not translucent. Loosely, imperfectly transparent. Impervious to reason; unintelligent. Imperious to radiant heat, electric radiation etc. having no luster; dull. Unintelligible; obscure; dark; lying in shadow.

Warily - marked by keen caution, cunning, and watchfulness, especially in detecting and escaping danger.

Lapsed - to pass slowly or by degrees; slip; sink; to lapse into a coma. To deviate from virtue or truth; fall in duty or accuracy. To pass or elapse, as time. To become void, usually by disuse or neglect.

Suppress - To put an end or stop to; quell, crush as a rebellion. To stop or prohibit the activities of, as a rival political group; abolish. To withhold from knowledge or publication as a book, news, etc. To repress as a groan or sigh. To stop (a hemorrhage etc.)

Incredulously - Refusing belief; skeptical. Characterized by, caused by, or manifesting doubt. Incredible.

Saturated - Completely satisfied; replete; incapable of holding more of a substance or material; a saturated vapor.

Contemplating - To look at attentively; gaze at. To consider thoughtfully; ponder. To intend or plan. To treat of as contingent or possible. To meditate; muse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is for people who have a mission to pursue their dreams in whatever profession they want. It is also a place where asipring authors can talk about thier road to publication.